Archery 2004

Home Up


Archery season opened today September 11, 2004 with my usual and normal excitement level at its peak! After a quick shower using special soap to reduce human odor, I stumbled and blundered around not having an established early morning hunting routine and hoping not to wake my bride “Tweet” and the two Huneycutt Grand Sons who were spending the night with us.  The basement lights were too bright for my bride who was sleeping in one of the guest rooms with Trevor Lane Huneycutt and awoke anyway.

I got on stand around 6:00 A.M. and the wind was fairly calm with the mosquitoes very active constantly drilling my hands for their morning nourishment.  Crickets, other undetermined insects and frogs were making their presence known and squirrels were busy in the white oak trees harvesting acorns.

A couple fawns appeared around 7:00 A.M. and fed on corn for about ten minutes and I observed a deer about 45 yards in good cover edging its way toward the left of my position.  The fawns headed toward the deer and I thought it might be a doe but a few minutes’ later four deer appeared; the two fawns, a spike buck in velvet and a 3-point buck.  The little bucks were very cautious and were around 20 yards out and I took the first available shot at the 3-point buck.  The holographic sight was dancing a little and not rock steady but held behind the buck’s right shoulder and released the deadly arrow toward the buck.  The arrow gave a loud “smack” type sound upon impact with the buck’s back legs immediately kicking straight backwards indicating a normal heart area shot.  The little buck took off like a scalded dog crashing into the brushes and undergrowth as he exited the area.  It took only a few seconds before I heard him fall and all was quiet again.  After affixing the detachable bow quiver to my back pack and lowering my bow to the ground,  I proceeded to the position where I heard the deer fall and before getting there a deer gave out a loud snort. The buck traveled about 80 yards and after a photo session, the deer was quickly field dressed.  I went back to the tree stand harvest site and retrieved my arrow, which was still straight, and after a good washing from the water hose is ready for a new set of blades and back in service.  The little 3-point buck should be some very good eating.

I talked to my friend John Gaddy a few minutes ago and he harvested a nice 5-point buck in the velvet around 8:00 A.M.

This pix shows the devastation of the 125 grain three-blade Thunderhead Broadhead entry hole ahead of an Easton XX78 Super slam 2315 aluminum 31.5 inch arrow from the antique 1994 PSE Mach6 bow set at only 60 lbs.

Written by Bill aka Mickey Porter September 11, 2004 and web published 07-02-13.

Home Up